1. Read a lot - and not only genre your write about. Reading books from different genres you don't usually read or write helps you learn new writing styles, which in turn improve your own style.
2. Join writing communities - You can do this in local groups, or if you're pressed for time, online writing groups. You will learn new ways on marketing, publishing, and improve your overall image with readers and writers alike.
3. Create your own blog - This is helpful in marketing your book(s) and you as an author. You can include excerpts from your book, write short articles, all to generate excitement and curiosity about you and your books.
4. Stay consistent with your writing schedules - It's difficult to find time to write, but keeping with your writing schedule is no different than making time to exercise. Put it on your schedule and stick with it. Whether it's during work lunch, first thing in the morning before everyone awakens, or 30 minutes when you get home. Staying consistent will help you finish the book(s) you're working on.
5. Publish a book of your own - This experience will educate you on the intricacies of independent publishing. It's a lot of work, but gratifying. You'll have to find editors, graphic designers for covers, reviewers. It's all worth the time and effort in the end, and don't be surprised if people start looking to you for help.
Hi! Click on the link below my photo to visit Amazon's David Lucero Page. Here you will find a list of my available published books in hard and soft cover, and kindle versions. Your time is important to me, and I appreciate your choice to read my books.
Reviews Help Authors! Many readers choose books based on recommendations of others. Leaving an Amazon and Goodreads Review is telling others how much you enjoyed your last read. After 25 reviews, Amazon includes the author's book in "also bought" and "you might like" lists. This increases a book's visibility. After 70 reviews, Amazon highlights the book for spotlight positions and includes it in its newsletter. This is a huge boost for authors. Please leave a review on Amazon and Goodreads.
Follow me on Amazon, Goodreads, Facebook, twitter, and google for regular updates. Keep on reading, and I'll keep on writing!
All the best!
Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org